43-44 High Street
The Documents and papers within this accession number show that these houses were originally part of an estate of William Ridler and his wife.
In 1708 the estate consisting of houses in Key Lane [6 tenants named] and a parcel of meadow called Upper Acre TOGETHER WITH houses in High Street near Key Lane [6 tenants named] and a parcel of meadow called Winmill Acre
The estate seemed to have been mortgaged with the mortgage being assigned at various times to different people:- William Sloper / William Arnold / John Sturmy
In 1719 there was £142-18s-0d owing on the mortgage so the estate was sold to Charles Mason for £221-1s-0d Laurence Cox then bought the meadow for £26-1s-0d
Charles Mason paid John Sturmy £128 in part discharge of the mortgage and gave the balance of £93-1s-0d to William Ridler and his wife
Laurence Cox paid John Sturmy £15-18s-0d in the other part discharge of the mortgage. The estate was then placed in the hands of Charles Bick of Tredington and William. Attwood of Stoke Orchard as trustees until the fee simple rightfully belonged to Chjarles Mason
In 1736 Thomas Mason [son and heir of Charles Mason deceased] borrows £100 of Arnold Russell and as security offers 4 houses in High Street – 2 adjoining together having “The Anchor” on the south [tenants: John Baxter and Robert Smith] and 2 adjoining together having “The Anchor” on the north [tenants: Elizabeth Haynes and Margaret Harrison]
In 1743 this loan or mortgage is assigned to Mrs Hester Mann – there is now owing £110- 19s-0d and Thomas Mason borrows a further £39-1s-0d to make it to £150
In 1750 there is now £175 owing and the executors of Mrs Hester Mann require the money to settle her estate so Thomas Mason sells the 2 houses north of “The Anchor” to Robert Smith [the tenant of one of them] – for £220 and pays £175 to the executors The two houses north of “The Anchor” [modern day Nos. 43 and 44 High Street] become the property of Robert Smith Whitesmith.
In 1793 Robert Smith dies having made a Will - leaving the two houses in High Street “now in my own possession and in occupation of [blank] Wilkins widow” - to Robert Smith, the son of his nephew William Smith
By 1848 The houses belonged to one Joseph Smith who mortgaged it [and probably other property] for £1000 at 5% to Rev Samuel Ellis Garrard and
In 1857 the mortgaged was assigned to Benjamin Perks Procter at 4½%
By 1858 Joseph Smith and Maria his wife were obviously in difficulties being overdrawn at the Gloucestershire Banking Co. and it was passed over to the Trustees of the Banking Co.
In 1858 The 2 houses are put up for sale – described as nearly opposite Railway Station in occupation of William Gibbs and James Turner with “The Anchor” on the south side and Messuage of Thomas Alexander Johns on north side. The Highest Bidder was William Grizzell of Kemerton who purchased the properties for £695 – which was passed to Benjamin Perks Procter in part discharge of the mortgage.
In 1873 William Grizzell and in his Will appointed Philemon Land of Tewkesbury ironmonger and James Roberts of Kemerton gent as executors.
In 1875 the property was put up for sale again – this time in 2 separate Lots.
Lot 1 – 43 High Street sold to George Edward Cox at £235
Lot 2 – 44 High Street sold to George Edward Cox at £190
In 1929 – The personal representatives of George Edward Cox give assent to the resting in Annie McDougal – wife of John McDougal of the property known as 43 and 44 High Street now in the occupation of Daniel Henry Finnigan
Annie McDougal was the daughter of George Edward Cox – she married John McDougal in Twyning Church on May 29th 1894
In 2012 – 43 High Street is - JT's Coffee House & Grill, 44 High Street is - Sweets & Treats
[These documents, currently in Tewkesbury Museum, will be handed to the Gloucester Archive]